Sunday, July 29, 2007
The Iraq soccer team defeated Saudi Arabia 1-0 winning the Asia Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia. This piece interested me because "In 2003, an iron maiden was discovered in an abandoned soccer field in Iraq by invading American forces, and former athletes stated that it had been used to punish athletes who were not performing up to standard. The device was likely used under the direction of Uday Hussein when he was in charge of the Iraqi Olympic Committee (Wikipedia, 2007)."
In recent modern history, Iraq has not been without suppression. Especially under the brutal regime of former dictator Saddam Hussein. This victory signifies a great change for the Iraqi people.
In the 71st minute of the Asia Cup match between Iraq and Saudi Arabia, captain Younis Mahmoud headed a goal into the net giving Iraq a 1-0 lead over the Saudis. After the match, captain Mahmoud called for the United States to withdraw its troops from Iraq. Mahmoud said "I want America to go out, today, tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, but out. I wish the American people didn't invade Iraq and, hopefully, it will be over soon (SI.com, 2007)."
"Jubilation over the team known as the "Lions of the Two Rivers" gave Iraqis a rare respite from the daily violence. The victorious run sent men of all ages cheering and dancing in Baghdad. Celebratory gunfire resounded across the city and revelers poured into the streets in defiance of orders from authorities while mosques broadcast calls for the shooting to stop. Security forces enforced a vehicle ban in an effort to prevent a repeat of car bombings that killed dozens celebrating Iraq's progress to the finals (SI.com, 2007)."
"The players have made us proud, not the greedy politicians," said Sabah Shaiyal, a 43-year-old police officer in Baghdad. "Once again, our national team has shown that there is only one, united Iraq (SI.com, 2007)."
This victory for Iraq shows unity and spirit for a country who has been ravaged by war.
Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/07/29/iraq.saudiarabia.ap/index.html
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think it's great when people in 'developing' coiuntries get a chance to unite around a central issue, and in a lot of cases soccer is that issue. when i lived in ecuador soccer was the one thing that everyone i knew could agree on - young, old, rich, or poor. politics aside,
(coninued)... soccer gives poorer countries a chance to show the rest of the world the dedication and pride they have for their national identity.
I also think that this positive news will bring hope to the people of Iraq. I think it is interesting that the captain of the team denounces the United States. In a time of war the people of a broken country often follow what their national heroes say, I can guess that the captain of the soccer team has more support than the newly instated, United States backed government.
It was almost shocking to read what the captain of the Iraqi team said about the United States. I don't know why, but I think it had something to do with the fact that when i was in Iraq, I did'nt see ANY crimes against the people there. We were strictly professional and wanted SO BADLY to help rebuild Iraq....we made so many friends and things were going GREAT until the 82nd Airborne Division left Iraq for the first time. Then....all hell broke loose.
Post a Comment