Thursday, August 2, 2007

Syriana

Just a note on a film that I feel everyone should watch, Syriana. This film examines aspects of geopolitics in relation to the U.S. government and its connections with big business. The film examines aspects of other cultures, many of which can be considered developing countries. One of the countries examined in the film is Saudi Arabia (although this is never mentioned, it IS eluded to several times). Other cultures examined include that of Pakistan, Lebanon, Switzerland, and Iran. The film also delves into U.S. socio-political aspects involving oil and the laws that inhibit mergers of large corporations in order to increase profit (as well as the GDP of that business and its capital). I HIGHLY suggest that if you have not seen Syriana, rent it.

1 comment:

Nanifay said...

Yes! This is a wonderful movie. I watched it some time ago, and found it a bit confusing (I had to watch it a few times to really "get" it - maybe due to my lack of tv/film langauge savvy-ness) but once I got it, I thought it was great. I will add to my movie list on my blog...